It’s hard to imagine being able to wear shorts consistently right now because the weather is so unpredictable but soon it will be warm for more than one day. A very lovely friend of mine inquired about what shorts she should wear for her shape. This prompted me to go virtual shopping and select some shorts that I not only believe will be the best choice by style but also for each body shape! Read over and let me know which ones are you faves. Also, don’t hesitate to send me questions, I would love to answer your questions in my next post!
Disclaimer * these styles do not include the jean short ( daisy duke) , a daisy duke is to be work however the wearer chooses and does not have to follow these guidelines of class and sophistication
There are many different short styles to choose from depending on your body type. I have based this selection on some of the fit issues one may have with shorts. Each have a variety that you could choose depending on how long or short you like your shorts. I picked and commented on my favorites!
1. Big Booty– whether you have wide hips or a bubble butt the wrong short can cause all sorts of discomfort. I recommend a high waist short that is not banded at the thigh. Choose shorts with pleats, added fullness and or flowing pant legs.
If you have a bubble butt avoid super short shorts that can cuff into your creases or ride up, select a style with ample rooms for your curves.
* If you are in between( medium booty) you can wear either or depending on what your needs you have, if you are on the extreme ends of the spectrum then you must improvise!
Left to Right L+F Pick: Top Shop Pleated Short, Acne Studios Leather Short , Monsoon Narelle Short, River Island Blue Print Short
L+F Pick: Narelle Short as my favorite for bigger booties because they do a great job of banding the waist and providing great pleats for room in the leg and backside. These shorts are flattering and provide enough coverage and shape.
2. Small Backside– If you have a flatter booty you can easily build a curve by wearing a shorter cuffed short or a short with print. Go for no pockets and go short, it wont hurt, a high waist is appropriate for all shapes.
Small booty Left to Right Valentino Pleated Cotton and Silk short, Maison Scotch Printed Short, Emilio Pucci Embellished Fringe Short, Ted Baker Short
L+F Pick: Emilio Pucci made these shorts for women with smaller hips and butts to show that you don’t need a lot of booty to be able to shake. The fringe and embellishment are a great way to balance out a frame and add excitement to a look. I could actually see these on my friend Anna who always gets to wear the shortest of shorts because she is petite!
3. Thick Thighs– Thick thighs are hard to fit, they will force many shorts up your legs and into your lady creases. The best types of shorts to wear for bigger thighs are free flowing shorts that do not cling . If your thighs are bigger they most likely touch so you want a short that will remain low as you walk back and forth. Also! if you want to slim your frame try a bermuda short below! These work to elongate the legs and take some attention away from your thighs when layered correctly.
Left to Right Phillip Lim Curved Hem Short, Top Shop Printed Short, Alice and Olivia Embroidered Tule Short, Mink Pink Floral Angled Hem Short
L+F Pick: Philip Lim is a wonderful designer who makes basic pieces that flatter a woman’s shape. These curved hem shorts are a great piece for larger thighs and hips, they have ample leg room and a tapered waist.
4. Skinny legs – if you want to make your frame look slimmer then go for a bermuda short this short has a great slimming effect. If your legs are the smallest on your body these will help you to regain balance. Bermuda shorts also help the apple shape, sometimes shorter shorts can be unflattering but a nice bermuda such as these can work wonders for balance.
Left to Right: John Lewis Stretch short, MaxMara Stripe Short, River Island Orange shorts
L+F Pick: John Lewis Stretch shorts- While stretch is a girl’s best friend these muted toned shorts are a great wardrobe addition. If you have disproportionally slim legs these work great and if you have bigger legs these can help to slim your frame.
Things to avoid when wearing ANY short:
1. The rise – the rise can happen when the booty is large or thighs are thick, this happens when the size of the shorts are a size too small or cut wrong for your shape and as you walk they rise. Try for a different style, shorts cut straight across are not for you, you need ample fullness in the thighs!
2. Horizontal creases– This is a direct sigs that your pant, short, or skirt is too tight and too small! the last thing you want is shorts that are
3. Too short– Legs are beautiful but no one ( well not the right kind of people) wants to see your lady parts, booty cheeks or pockets form the inside of your short, after a certain age this has got to stop. There are so many shorts to choose for that can give a risque look without being risque. Try an angled short that is higher on the sides.